The Church of the Descent of the Holy Spirit

The Church of Saint Anne on the Main Street of Oradea was built between 1772 and 1774 on the order of Ádám Patachich, Bishop of Oradea, by the foundation of Canon István Szenczy. The founder, István Szenczy, and Canon Franz Xaver Rier took care of the furnishing and equipment of the sanctuary built to serve the house and school of the Ursuline Order. Originally a simple baroque facade, the church had a small, helmeted wooden tower rising above the saddle roof. Inside the church, initially, there were two altars: ta main altar dedicated to Saint Anne, the patron saint of the church, and a side altar depicting the allegory of the Good Death. The current shape of the church was reached in 1858 during a reconstruction commissioned by Bishop Ferenc Szaniszló. This is when the thermal facade made of gothic elements and the tower on its right were also built. New altars were built in the converted interior, which, together with the new organ acquired at that time, were financed by the members of the Canon of the Oradea Cathedral. During another renovation in 1888, the stained glass windows of the church sanctuary were made.

The Church of Saint Anne on the Main Street of Oradea was built between 1772 and 1774 on the order of Ádám Patachich, Bishop of Oradea, by the foundation of Canon István Szenczy. The founder, István Szenczy, and Canon Franz Xaver Rier took care of the furnishing and equipment of the sanctuary built to serve the house and school of the Ursuline Order. Originally a simple baroque facade, the church had a small, helmeted wooden tower rising above the saddle roof. Inside the church, initially, there were two altars: ta main altar dedicated to Saint Anne, the patron

saint of the church, and a side altar depicting the allegory of the Good Death. The current shape of the church was reached in 1858 during a reconstruction commissioned by Bishop Ferenc Szaniszló. This is when the thermal facade made of gothic elements and the tower on its right were also built. New altars were built in the converted interior, which, together with the new organ acquired at that time, were financed by the members of the Canon of the Oradea Cathedral. During another renovation in 1888, the stained glass windows of the church sanctuary were made.

photo gallery

The Chapel of the Merciful Order
The Saint Ladislaus Church
The Canon’s Corridor
The Saint Anne Ursuline convent chapel
The Premonstratensian Church and Convent
The Church of the Descent of the Holy Spirit